Four Corners E-zine
Kids and adults both love this recipe! The bread tastes absolutely delicious as-is, but you can also serve it with a side of sofrito. Or you can add some cinnamon to the recipe and serve with some honey for a special desert (like a desert bread).
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup honey (raw honey is best; cactus honey powder works too)
- 2 teaspoons of himalayan salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups spring water
- 6 to 6 1/2 cups of white flour (note: can be gluten free flour if preferred)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the oil, honey, salt, eggs and water. Stir until well mixed.
- Stir in about 3 to 4 cups of flour, then gradually continue adding more flour, a little at a time, until it begins to form dough and is of a consistency that you can knead it (manipulate it with your hands)
- Knead the mixture until it becomes a very stiff
- Divide the dough into four large pieces
- On a lightly floured surface, use a rolling pin (or something similar) to roll each piece into a large rectangle. Note: Your rectangle does not need to be perfect! You can make each piece as thick or thin as you\’d like. I enjoy mine semi-thick. Also, if you are storing your bread loaves in a plastic container when done, shape the bread so that it will fit in your container
- Use a fork to lightly prick each piece all over, leaving holes where the dough can \”breath\” while cooking.
- Place each piece onto a lightly greased baking sheet. Cleanup is easier if you line the baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray cooking oil on it.
- Lightly drizzle some extra virgin olive oil on top of the bread, then lightly sprinkle some salt on top of the bread
- Place in the oven and bake for approximately 10-20 minutes depending on the thickness of your bread. It should be lightly brown on top.
- Remove unleavened bread from the baking sheet and place on a wire rack to cool.
- If desired, cut into smaller pieces. You can do this using a pizza cutter to make this easy or use kitchen shears. Enjoy!
Yields four loaves per batch.